Avenues for Youth | Minneapolis, MN | January 29, 2020
Title: Director of Development
Type: Exempt, salaried
Hours: 40 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends
Salary: $70,000 – $85,000, plus benefits
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Giving Manager, Marketing and Communication Manager, Grants Manager
Deadline: February 14, 2020
The Director of Development ensures that the organization has a dynamic plan and sufficient fundraising activities to secure financial resources to support and develop programs and sustain the administration and capital improvements necessary for the mission of Avenues for Youth, and ensures that the work of the organization is communicated in a timely and compelling fashion. As a key member of Avenues leadership team, the Director of Development leads development activities that leverage skills and relationships of the Board of Directors and other volunteers, and represents the organization in the community.
• Lead and coordinate all fundraising efforts to achieve annual and long-term revenue goals, including but not limited to:
o Annual individual donor campaign
o Major donor prospecting and solicitation
o Corporate sponsorships, contributions and cause marketing relationships
o Foundation grants
o Fundraising events hosted by Avenues, including one annual event
o Fundraising events hosted by third parties
• Oversee marketing and communications strategy and activities to ensure the organization has a positive, high profile brand in the community that supports the fundraising efforts. Strategies and activities will involve, but not be limited to:
o Website and e-newsletter
o Social media, including Facebook and Twitter
o Annual report
o Media relations
o General community engagement
o Collateral materials, e.g., brochures, tabling materials
• Oversee community engagement and volunteer activities to ensure the organization’s reputation and activities are growing in the following segments:
o Faith, business and civic organizations
o Volunteer groups and individuals
• Support efforts to secure government grants for current programs and, as appropriate, to maintain, expand programs and operations
• Serve on the leadership team and support the Executive Director in developing the following:
o Annual budget
o Current year budget reports and projections, including any needed budget revisions
o Long-term strategic plans, progress reports and, as needed, plan revisions
o Annual work plan
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE:
The Director of Development must have the skills and experience necessary to fulfill the above core responsibilities, including but not limited to, a minimum of the following:
• Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree
• Five years non-profit development experience, including major donor cultivation, foundation relations, corporate relations and event management. An intriguing combination of relevant for-profit experience and non-profit volunteer or staff experience will be considered.
• A collaborative leader with the ability to strategically manage a high-performing team.
• Enthusiasm for and experience with brand marketing, including through social media and website content.
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in oral and written communication.
• Ability to think strategically, plan effectively, and manage productively to achieve multiple high priority goals.
• Experience working with donor databases.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, trans and gender-nonconforming people, and applicants with lived experience connected to Avenues mission are strongly encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and references by February 14, 2020, to Katherine Meerse, Executive Director at email@example.com. No phone calls please.