Avenues for Youth | Minneapolis, MNSalary Range: $54,000-$58,000TITLE:
Development ManagerREPORTS TO:
Director of DevelopmentAPPLY BY:
June 4, 2021 JOB SUMMARY:
Avenues partners with youth experiencing homelessness to achieve their dreams, providing short-term and long-term supportive housing along with other supports for youth experiencing housing instability and homelessness. We strive to do that in a safe and nurturing environment through a social justice lens. Avenues seeks to support youth and young families while they define their experiences, life dreams, and futures. Our work takes into account historical trauma, systems of oppression, and intersectionality while being grounded in the power of resiliency, healing, and community. Our core values are equity, community, respect, dignity, trust, liberation, and anti-oppression. We believe that fundraising must be grounded in race, equity, and social justice.
The Development Manager is part of the Development & Marketing Team and works independently toward individual goals and collaboratively across the department in pursuit of individual gifts and organizational partnerships. The position is responsible for managing a portfolio of prospects and donors, including the research, cultivation, and solicitation of annual giving for Avenues for Youth. Other key responsibilities include overseeing the Avenues Allies program and managing relationships with corporations, faith groups, and civic organizations to engage people in opportunities for volunteering, in-kind giving, education/learning, and annual support. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the overall, long-term financial strength of Avenues for Youth by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospects about a variety of gift opportunities.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100+ donors and prospects giving at the $250+ level and take steps to move them through the gift cycle of identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Work in collaboration with donors to engage in ways that are meaningful to them and to the community.
- Use discipline in all aspects of the gifts cycle, with accountability for steps that are ethical, donor-centered, timely, and well-planned.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Development and Executive Director to develop and increase funding, where appropriate, from individuals, donor advised funds, and small family foundations.
- Maintain donor confidentiality in all contacts with donors and prospects.
- Attend or participate in professional development to remain current on giving trends and changes in tax law that impact charitable giving.
- Coordinate outreach to prospective donors with the development team.
PARTNERSHIP AND ALLIES PROGRAM
- Cultivate, develop, and manage partnerships with corporations, local businesses, faith groups, and civic organizations, related to giving, in-kind donations, volunteerism, and education.
- Offer educational opportunities for partners in conjunction with Avenues’ social justice, racial justice and anti-oppression work.
- Coordinate with the Development Coordinator through the steps to identify, recruit, and onboard new volunteers, and steward existing volunteers.
- Partner with the Development Coordinator to lead and organize the annual youth holiday gifts program, promoting in-kind giving opportunities with partners and Allies.
- Manage the Allies Program, consisting of 30+ partnerships with corporate, civic, & faith organizations.
- Use the donor database to maintain a profile of donors and enter contact notes.
- Utilize prospect research to cultivate donors with top potential.
- Request and/or run donor data reports to analyze data.
- Assist the Director of Development in developing and implementing event strategies that support individual giving and major gifts goals.
- Identify, register, and steward table leaders/hosts for the annual fundraising event.
- Support and attend all Avenues for Youth events.
- Speak on behalf of Avenues for Youth at community events and convenings where appropriate.
- Perform additional duties, as assigned.
- At least three years of successful experience in development required, with preference for four years of experience in individual gifts solicitation for major gifts and annual giving.
- Experience using a relational database, with preference for Donor Perfect.
- Understanding of power, privilege and systems of oppression required. Lived experiences and cross-transferable skills are welcomed and will be considered.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and its applications including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, & Excel.
- Excellent writing, presentation, and verbal communication skills.
- High tolerance for multi-tasking and receiving feedback from multiple people while working within the context of an ever-changing nonprofit environment.
- Ability to work as a team member and independently, taking initiative to problem solve.
- Cognizant of, and sensitive to, the needs of youth experiencing homelessness.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to travel occasionally within the Twin Cities region.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and to climb several levels of stairs.
- Employment Status: Full-Time, Salaried, Exempt
- Hours: 40 hours per week, including some evening and weekend hours
- Location: Office will be based in Minneapolis, but local travel will be required to other sites
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, trans and gender-nonconforming people, and applicants with lived experience connected to Avenues mission are strongly encouraged to apply.HOW TO APPLY:
Send an application consisting of a cover letter (detailing interest in the position), resume, and references to Melissa Cuff at email@example.com