Luther Seminary | Saint Paul, MN
Salary Range: $75,000 - $85,000
The purpose of this position is to support the mission and strategic plan of Luther Seminary by building positive philanthropic relationships with annual fund donors, alumni, volunteers, staff, and community members. The Director of Sustaining Fund & Alumni Relations will lead the sustaining fund, donor event management, direct mail, digital engagement and alumni relations to realize philanthropic goals and objectives, ensuring the ongoing financial stability of Luther Seminary.
II. KEY RESULT AREAS
- Direct and implement strategies and objectives to achieve annual fundraising goals, in collaboration with the Senior Director.
- Manage digital engagement program with emphasis on email acquisition, donor acquisition, renewal and upgrade giving.
- Manage the direct mail program, including oversight of design, writing, production and tracking of solicitations.
- Cultivate strong and effective relationships with students, faculty and staff in order to effectively fundraise for seminary activities, such as Faith+Lead and Working Preacher.
- Lead, oversee and evaluate the online fundraising program including the annual give day event.
- Develop, create and implement long-term strategy for alumni relations to engage students and new and current alumni, maximizing outreach efforts for the Seminary.
- Manage the Alumni Council with support from the Sustaining Fund team.
- Supervise and mentor the Sustaining Fund team, including recruitment, retention, performance management and coaching.
- Test and evaluate the effectiveness of annual fund efforts, oversee income projections and prepare reports for the Seminary Relations team and other staff /board committees as appropriate.
- Oversee donor communications in response to questions, comments and issues resulting from the team’s fundraising efforts.
- Serve as point person for advancement communications and marketing needs in print and online.
- Oversee donor recognition for current giving, mailings, holiday cards, birthday cards, etc.
- Supervise staff to execute current giving initiatives.
- And any other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Senior Director of Advancement & Advancement Services
Supervises: Assistant Director of Advancement and Donor Engagement Manager
Internal Relationships with: Advancement Services, Marketing and Communications, Faith+Lead and Working Preacher faculty and staff, and Philanthropic Advisers. Also work with HR, Business Office, Office of Technology, Student Affairs and Faculty.
External relationships with: fundraising consultants, mail house, printers and fundraising networking partners.
IV. JOB SPECIFICATION
- Commitment to Luther Seminary’s Mission and Vision.
- Desired education and experience: Bachelor’s Degree
- Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 3-5 years of experience in annual giving.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to analyze data and situations to develop, initiate and implement new programs, improve existing initiatives and eliminate under-performing strategies.
- Ability to effectively coach and mentor staff.
- Detail oriented.
- Organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Build and maintain collaborative and effective relationships with students, faculty, staff and public.
- Knowledge of ELCA helpful.
- Familiarity with other mainline Christian organizations also helpful.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the primary job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this description at any time without notice.