NAMI Minnesota | Saint Paul, MN
Salary Range: $70,000 - $85,000
NAMI Minnesota, located in St. Paul, is hiring a Director of Development to lead the development, planning, and implementation of NAMI Minnesota’s development and fundraising strategy and program to meet the short- and long-term program needs of the organization. This position reports to and works closely with the executive director.
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Leads, coaches, supports, motivates, and manages the development team, which includes a development associate, special events coordinator, and marketing and communications coordinator.
- Hires, trains, and onboards development staff in collaboration with the operations director.
- Creates and maintains positive, productive working relationships with the executive director, board, direct reports, directors, volunteers, donors, and other staff members.
- Participates on the leadership team, to give input on organization-wide decisions.
- Oversees the development department’s budget.
Development and Fundraising
- Develops and implements the annual development plan to raise funds to meet the annual budget.
- Sets fundraising and donor engagement goals and tracks progress and motivates staff toward the achievement of those goals.
- Leads the annual appeal, including donor identification, segmentation, and direct asks. (Donations from individuals represent 19% of the budget.)
- Develops and implements a meaningful and effective donor engagement and retention strategy, including in-person and online relationship management strategies.
- Manages the Endowment Committee and supports their work to grow the endowment.
- Oversees the organization’s marketing strategy, including direct mail, email/newsletter, social media, and press.
- Grows major gift program, including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Leads all individual donor strategies including “Give to the Max”, memorials, and donor-advised funds.
- Supports the special events coordinator to plan, carry out, and oversee up to five (5) events each year, including NAMI Walks, which engages over 3,000 participants and raises over $500,000. (Special events income represents 18% of the budget.)
- Provides direction to individuals or organizations holding events to support NAMI Minnesota.
- Works with the director of outreach to engage volunteers for events.
- Consistently attends fundraising and community events, including several on nights and weekends.
- Manages the donor database (CRM).
- Monitors and analyzes fundraising data to evaluate performance and adjust strategy as needed.
- Provides monthly reports to the executive director, board, and management team.
- Coordinates the design, publishing, and communication of the annual report.
- Additional development, leadership, or administrative duties as assigned.
BENEFITS, FLEXIBILITY AND PAID TIME OFF
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer pays 85% of employee-only medical premium and 100% of employee-only dental premium
- 12 Paid Holidays, plus 15 Days Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Leave, and Paid Parental Leave
- Work remotely up to two (2) days per week after successful onboarding.
- Employer paid Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) with free, confidential counseling services
- Reimbursement for continuing education
HOURS: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm plus occasional evenings and weekends
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Exempt/Salaried
PRIMARY LOCATION: NAMI Minnesota 1919 University Ave W #400, St. Paul, MN 55104
PAY: $70,000-$85,000, commensurate with qualifications
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THIS ROLE IF…
• You have at least three (3) years of development experience.
• You are excited to learn and grow in the development and fundraising field.
• You want to work closely and collaboratively with an experienced, mission-driven executive director.
• You are committed to NAMI’s mission and values, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and want to integrate your commitment into your work.
• You are highly accountable and have strong attention to detail and the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
• You have strong communication and interpersonal skills and have a desire and ability to develop relationships, manage events (including nights and weekends), and give public presentations.
• You don’t mind working at an office three (3) days a week and you are ok with commuting to local events up to 10% of the time.
• Due to NAMI Minnesota’s work with people with mental illnesses who are at high risk, COVID-19 vaccination is required. NAMI Minnesota provides applicable, required reasonable accommodation upon written request and verification after a job offer.
• Due to the nature of NAMI’s work and this position, a background check is required. Criminal history will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the job requirements and will not necessarily preclude employment.
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Etapestry or other CRM, and social media.
• Ability to work for long periods of time on a computer, attend events indoors/outdoors, interact with large groups of people, and lift up to 25 lbs. when transporting materials to/from events. (NAMI Minnesota welcomes individuals of all physical and/or mental abilities to work here. The physical demands and essential functions described here are representative of those that must be met, with or without reasonable accommodation.)
• We understand that not every candidate will meet every requirement. If you're excited about the position and think you may be a good candidate, we encourage you to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. Central Time on September 1, 2023.
ABOUT NAMI MINNESOTA
NAMI Minnesota is a statewide grassroots organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with mental illnesses and their families by providing education, support, and advocacy. We reach over 50,000 people a year through our classes, support groups and helpline. We champion justice, dignity, and respect for all people affected by mental illnesses. Through education, support, and advocacy we strive to effect positive changes in the mental health system and increase the public and professional understanding of mental illnesses.
• Hope: We believe in the possibility of recovery, wellness, and the potential in all of us.
• Inclusion: We embrace diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives.
• Empowerment: We promote confidence, self-efficacy, and service to our mission.
• Compassion: We practice respect, kindness, and empathy.
• Fairness: We fight for equity and justice.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION: NAMI Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to Justice, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a veteran or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.
We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds and identities to apply. Candidates with personal experience living with a mental illness are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are in need of accommodation in the application or hiring process, contact email@example.com