The Basilica of Saint Mary | Minneapolis, MNSalary Range: $75,000 - $83,600PURPOSE OF POSITION
Lead staff team and direct fundraising efforts to raise leadership and major gifts and involve volunteers to build parish and community awareness to support the missions of 3 causes: Basilica of Saint Mary parish, its St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) outreach ministries, and The Basilica Landmark (Landmark, separate 501c3). Develop a parish wide understanding of financial stewardship to increase annual giving. Work with volunteer leaders to plan a capital campaign for the restoration of the church exterior and interior.
This full-time, exempt position is eligible for benefits including paid vacation, sick leave and holiday time; medical, dental, vision and life insurance; employer matched 403(b) savings plan; HSA / FSA.
Salary commensurate with experience. Split of in-office and remote work is negotiable.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Audra Johnson, Director of HR & Finance, Basilica of Saint Mary. firstname.lastname@example.org SCOPE OF POSITION
- Reports to Managing Director
- Receives work assignments from Managing Director, Pastor, Basilica Landmark Board
- Supervises and assigns work for:
- Research & Advancement Coordinator
- 2 Development Officers
- Events Coordinator (open position, Basilica Block Party)
- Development Assistant, Communications and Events
- Development Administrative Assistant
- Hire, manage work of consultants as needed for campaigns, events
At least five years experience in a non-profit, fundraising or management position in a comparable setting with experience closing major gifts, planning, budgeting, project management, evaluation, volunteer and employee management. Annual fund and capital campaign experience and an understanding of public relations and marketing strategies desired. Knowledge of community and funding sources helpful. Requires strong interpersonal relationship, written and verbal communication skills and database management experience. Preference will be given to applicants of the Catholic faith. Education: College degreePRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITIES
Hire, manage, supervise development staff and build collaborative goal-oriented team.
- Recruit, hire, onboard and train new staff as needed.
- Conduct regular staff meetings and one on one meetings with individual staff. Lead staff planning days to coordinate development work and set expectations, goals and pace.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations with staff reports.
Successfully conduct fundraising to meet annual operational, ministry and project needs for Parish, St. Vincent de Paul Outreach ministries, and Landmark.
- Work with Managing Director, Pastor, staff and volunteer leaders to set goals and direction for ongoing fundraising activities. Prepare and implement annual plans with goals, tactics, budgets, and timelines. Evaluate successes, failures and adjust planning and tactics as needed to achieve fundraising goals.
- Oversee administrative processes for tracking and reporting campaign progress, gift entry and acknowledgment of donor gifts.
- Direct accurate and timely preparation of monthly reports on recurring and cash gift activity and special events for Parish and SVdP leaders, and The Basilica Landmark Board. Report progress to governance groups including Parish Council, Finance Committee, Basilica Landmark Board and Committees and staff directors as requested. Report on plan implementation including major gift solicitations, volunteer ambassador visits and recurring gift drives, direct mail appeals, e-appeals, and communications.
- Oversee recurring gift collection and plan follow-up for lapsed donors.
- Direct other special appeals, grant applications and special event activities, honor/memorial appeals, parish 2nd collections, Holy Day appeals.
Direct ongoing donor and prospect research, cultivation, solicitation and recognition.
- Identify and prioritize prospects and donors for research, cultivation contacts and activities, and evaluate best solicitation approach (i.e. one on one ask, events, mail, e-mail). Work with and manage Development Officers to set ask amounts and purpose, and determine cultivation needed to obtain gifts.
- Maintain a portfolio of donors and prospects and make personal solicitations for leadership and major gifts.
- Involve Pastor, Landmark Board members, volunteers, and leadership staff in conducting major gift solicitations.
- Develop and implement a donor recognition plan tailored to meet the donor’s needs, and the long-term fundraising needs of the parish and Landmark.
Work with Parish leaders and Landmark Board to prepare and launch a capital campaign for the exterior and interior restoration of The Basilica church.
- Develop and implement a capital campaign plan with communication and solicitation strategies and build volunteer leadership team. Enlist and work with Campaign Counsel as needed.
- Work with the Pastor, Board and staff to identify and solicit lead gifts to launch and achieve capital campaign goals.
- Direct development team and other staff to successfully cultivate donors and prospects and raise needed funds utilizing direct mail, digital strategies, honor/memorial and other special appeals and acknowledge and celebrate donors and milestones achieved.
- Assist and support Pastor, leadership staff and volunteers to manage their portfolios and to achieve their fundraising goals and portfolios.
Recruit and manage volunteers for Landmark Board and Standing Committees to achieve fundraising goals.
- Develop and cultivate prospective candidates for Board membership and leadership.
- Work with the Board to develop strategic plans, and with Committee leaders to set annual goals for committee activities and oversee implementation.
- Recruit membership with appropriate skills and networks for Governance and Nominating, Fundraising, Marketing, Planned Giving, Finance and Administrative Services, and for the Board.
- Manage regular committee meeting schedules, work with Officers to set agendas, and document committee activities.
Coordinate other initiatives and responsibilities as assigned by the Managing Director and Pastor
Participate as a member of the Basilica staff teams, including the Full Executive Team of staff department directors.
Assist with planning, volunteer recruitment and organizing of other special initiatives as needed.
- Excellent people skills and listening skills.
- Able to work independently to accomplish tasks within appropriate deadlines.
- Ability to recognize the need for and maintain confidentiality and communicate this to team members.
- Able to lead and work well with others while maintaining a positive and helpful attitude at all times, even during high intensity times.
- Strong analytical and math skills.
- Work 40 or more hours per week when needed
- Able to lift 25 pounds
- At all times the dress code is to be professional (See HR Manual).
*Employment in and by the Church if substantially different from secular employment.
Church employees must conduct themselves in a manner, which is consistent with and supportive of the mission and purpose of the Church. Their behavior must not violate the faith, morals or laws of the Church or the Archdiocese, such that it can embarrass the Church or give rise to scandal. This position does not require that the employee be a Catholic. It is expected, however, that non-Catholic employees will respect Catholic doctrine and religious practices. Reasonable accommodations for the religious practice of non-Catholics will similarly be provided.