Alight | Minneapolis, MN
Salary Range: $75,000 - $90,000
Major Gifts Officer | (Minneapolis)
Reports to Global Connector Lead | Full time
**APPLY HERE: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=o1Hykfwk&s=AFP_MN
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
- A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
- A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
- An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
We are proud to work on borderless teams. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and specifically encourage members of refugee, immigrant or other displaced communities to join us.About the Global Connections Team
The Global Connections Team works to actively seek out and activate new organizational connections and opportunities. Team members attend strategic events; host meetings, events and site visits; conduct regular “road-shows” to highlight and raise funds for key work; advocate for and guide partners inside the organization; and actively seek financial support. They do this work to form direct connections between high-net worth individuals and the work itself.
Team members actively work to deliver on our brand promise to create a “way-in” to Alights work. Performance is measured based on the impact to country programs, the expansion (both wide and deep) of Alight’s base of supporters and partners, the ability to promote and deliver on the organization’s brand promise, the ability to raise the organizational profile, and to raise critical unrestricted annual funds and strategic restricted fundsAbout the Role
We refer to our Major Gifts Officers as "Global Connectors!" The Global Connector joins a team responsible for building new private giving opportunities to fund new and exciting ventures. Potential funders will be high-net-worth individuals, family foundations, and philanthropists, including local board members in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.
This position will be fast-paced – the goal is to network strategically and extensively to identify the handful of great matches that will significantly impact the reach and depth of our work. There is a special emphasis on value-based partnerships to activate the potential of high-net-worth individuals to make a difference.
The Global Connector will initiate meetings and develop relationships, bringing the right people to the table as required. The goal is to create the highest standard of partnership – leaving donors with an incredible experience.
It is critical to be oriented toward win-win opportunities. We always work to understand what potential donors hope to achieve and, whenever possible, deepen the possibilities for execution.
It is always important that giving opportunities align with strategy and have the potential to be transformative for Alight. In some cases, it may be necessary to bypass an opportunity.Your day to day responsibilitiesIdentification and Making the Ask – 35%
- The key is to identify potential donor–A core responsibility is identifying people that would want to have the opportunity to engage with us on our meaningful programs and events – using all available tools to do so: existing networks and referrals, strategic events, social networking.
- Work with the Global Activations team to develop sales tools that are resonant and value-based for the customer and for Alight
Relationship Development and Management – 35%
- Searching for fits: research, creative networking
- Responding to possibilities from other Alight team members
- Responding to those who contact us directly. Our responsiveness is a competitive advantage – we respond to everyone quickly.
- Looking inside our existing networks: current donors, past partnerships, leadership networks.
- The key to success in this position is finding opportunities that make sense– remaining open to new funding opportunities and finding how they can be strategic for both parties.
- Split between 2 relationship leads (this position + the Global Connector Lead), the annual fundraising target for this portfolio is to increase an existing $1.5 Million portfolio of major gifts to $3 Million in the first year and steadily raise 3-5% each year annually in three years. A primary strategy for fundraising in the next 12 months will be to convert emergency relief support to annual fund support through strong relationship management and donor engagement.
- The Twin Cities network and Alight teams based in Minneapolis allow for many unique opportunities for donor engagement. There is room for creative ways to connect: in person meetups, coffee meetings, and walks in the park, donor briefings, etc. In addition, The Director of Americas, also based in Minneapolis, is ready and willing to co-create hands-on volunteer engagement where it strategically makes sense for the programs’ needs.
Program execution and fulfillment – 25%
- Reaching out – not just the right place, find the right people. Reach out in bold, authentic, and compelling manner. Meet with them individually or bring people along. Get a sense of the possibility. Leave with a next step. Manage relationships at every stage.
- Maintain the relationships that are developed and continue to find ways to engage donors. Relationships are two way streets and require mutual respect, attention, and purpose.
- Understand the meaningful contribution people want to make in the world and work with them to co-create something incredible. Give people the opportunity to do something truly meaningful, while being strategic with Alight program teams and the needs of the communities we serve.
Other – 5%
- Manage the execution of promised deliverables to our donors and ensure expectations have been met or exceeded.
- Activate the Development team to support fulfillment strategy as set forth by the Director of Development or Campaign Director.
- Events are a core mechanism for the Development team to nurture and build relationships. As a relationship manager, you will be required to attend and host various events throughout the year.
The skills and experience we’re seeking
- Work to really understand the agency commitment to meaning and individual transformation – how this currently exists and can be expanded.
- Show enthusiasm for the vision and mission of the work.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated record of success. Ideal candidates are natural conveners, great listeners, and can stretch people’s thinking to make things happen. They can easily identify natural partners.
- The skills and experience to build a pipeline of qualified prospects and cultivate to a significant ask.
- Ability to analyze situations and to strategically and creatively develop fresh approaches. Must be able to identify strategic value for Alight, as well as for the donor and navigate the connection.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to make persuasive and motivating presentations and build relationships with members of diverse constituencies at all levels of authority.
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills: the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with donors and colleagues.
- Ability to get to the heart of the matter by understanding the audience and by synthesizing a variety of material into strong presentations.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with global teams.
- Tracking and reporting conversations and activities in CRM database
These are “must-haves” when you join Alight:
We’re also looking for the following technical competencies:
- Open heart and open mind. You start by listening. You believe another person’s truth and it changes you. It unlocks your way of thinking in that moment, it opens your world.
- Curiosity. You are always learning. You ask why and why again. You know that change (big and small) is constant, which means your curiosity to learn is matched with adaptability to evolve.
- Trust. You believe that people do their best, are disciplined, and care about this as much as you do. You take responsibility for your part and know how to step back and give others the space to shine.
- Communicator. Shares the mission and vision of the organization clearly and articulately.
- Fundraising: Skillfully and diligently performs at a high caliber for cultivating and acquiring major gifts that are unrestricted.
- Prospecting: Effectively finds new networks with potential for major gifts above the $10,000 level annually to share Alight’s mission and vision.
- Relationship management: Responsible for the ongoing experience of each person you cultivate and onboard to Alight. We strive for deeply engaged donors that continue on as donors for a long time.
- Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
- Family Friendly – We know that you are a whole person with a life and a family. We honor this. In return, we expect that you will take ownership of your work and follow-through on your commitments; sometimes that means flexing your schedule and we’re good with that.
- Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
- Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
- Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
- Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.