Avenues for Youth | Minneapolis, MN
Salary Range: $55,000 - $60,000
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Associate of Director of Development & Communications
Employment Status: Salary Exempt Benefit Eligible
Core Schedule: 40 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends
Avenues for Youth provides emergency shelter, transitional housing, rapid re-housing, collective housing, and host homes housing for youth and young families experiencing housing instability and homelessness. We strive to do that in a safe and nurturing environment through a social justice lens. Through such service, Avenues seeks to partner with youth and young families while they define their experiences, life dreams and future. Our work takes into account historical trauma, systems of oppression and intersectionality while being grounded in the power of resiliency, healing, and community.
The Communications Manager will design and implement marketing and communications plan in coordination with the Associated Director of Development and Communications and priorities set forth in the organization’s strategic plan and that align with Community-Centric Fundraising Principles. This role will increase engagement with audiences and build awareness of the organization’s mission, vision, programs, and achievements. The primary outcome of this position is to ensure that Avenues has a strong reputation that leads to increasing community investments in the organization and the youth it supports. The Communications Manager is a key member of the Development and Communications team and oversees work with contracts including the videographer and social media specialist.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. These duties are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.
• Implement and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan that supports the organization’s strategic goals and objectives.
• Create content and act as the lead writer for Avenues using creative styles, designs, and approaches.
• Ensure consistency of message, branding, and alliance with style guidelines in all internal and external communications of the organization.
• Will provide leadership and act as the brand ambassador for the organization across audiences internal and external.
• Manage and oversee the organization’s website in coordination with the web developer and support staff/consultants.
• Track, measure, and analyze relevant communications data and online engagement metrics.
• Manage and oversee a robust online presence, including website, e-newsletter, and social media, including ads and other strategies to increase social media following and engagement.
• Create and ensure the production of high-quality print and digital materials, including newsletters, brochures, invitations, and the annual report.
• Create compelling graphic design elements for program materials, social media, e-newsletters, and donor communications.
• Support a media relations strategy that includes producing and distributing press releases, as well as a timely response to media inquiries and serving as the main point of contact to identify and connect relevant spokespersons within Avenues.
• Design and execute collateral for all event-related marketing and communications.
• Support program needs for strategic marketing and communications.
• Ensure appropriate agency response to public inquiries for information and involvement.
• Coordinate with and manage vendor relationships.
• Develop and update communication related policies.
• Manage crisis communication response in coordination Marketing and Development team.
• Coordinates with the Director of Development to create the annual budget for communications, and track expenses toward this budget.
Annual Fund and Capacity Campaign
• Create the communications plan with content calendar by working in coordination with the associate director of development.
• Coordinate case statement collection and messaging by working with Avenues staff.
• Create compelling graphics and images aligned with style guidelines.
• Coordinate with the team to create assets and content supporting donor stewardship.
• Support communication needs for the upcoming Capacity Campaign to include case statement messaging, press releases, brochures letter templates, etc.
• Support communications work of the capacity campaign in coordination with communications consultants, pro-bono experts, and vendors as the Capacity Campaign develops.
• Analyze results to assist with audience segmentation, assess progress toward key performance indicators, and identify potential media opportunities.
• Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field and at least three years of related work experience, including in nonprofit communications and development, or seven years direct experience.
• Experience in writing appeals, managing print-based marketing and communications, graphic design, events management, cause marketing, and public relations.
• Experience with e-communications (social media, website, e- newsletters, e-blasts, blogs, etc.).
• Must have and maintain a valid Minnesota Driver’s License, maintain automobile coverage, and have access to an automobile.
• Skilled in using donor databases and donor giving platforms.
• Proficient in WordPress, Microsoft Word Suite, social media, and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Excellent writing, presentation, and verbal communication skills.
• High tolerance for multi-tasking and receiving feedback from multiple people while working within the context of an ever-changing nonprofit environment.
• Detail-oriented and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Meets deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
• Ability to work as a team member and independently, taking initiative to problem solve.
• Understanding of power, privilege, and systems of oppression.
• Cognizant of, and sensitive to, the needs of youth experiencing homelessness.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and climb ramps or stairs. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: KEEPING US SAFE
In response to the COVID‐19 Pandemic, Avenues for Youth has worked diligently to establish strong health and safety protocols for our community. This position is hybrid role, requiring some in-person work each week in the office with the option to work remotely. Currently, many job duties can be fulfilled by phone or video-assisted technology, but some situations will require in-person meetings. Any interactions that require in-person contact will involve the use of social distancing and personal protective equipment.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION (DEI)
Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We embrace diversity, foster inclusion, and do our work through an equitable lens. Persons of color, women, members of the LGBTQI+ community, veterans, other minorities, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the organization will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
$55,000 to $60,000 per year, depending on qualifications, and participation in our 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan. Additional benefits for employees regularly scheduled at least 24 hours per week include Health, Dental, Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance. Generous paid time off including 7 holidays and a floating holiday. Avenues for Youth makes stipends available for phone use and relevant mileage reimbursement.
To learn more and apply, visit https://avenuesforyouth.org/join-our-team and click on the communications manager position. With questions, contact Kevin Kjonaas, Associate of Director of Development & Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org