Registration will open the week of August 22
Event Description: Don’t miss this rare opportunity to talk directly with representatives of foundations who support organizations like yours!
At AFP-MN’s BIPOC Meet the Funders, you’ll have the chance to meet in small groups with foundation representatives and ask them your questions.
You will have the chance to meet in small groups with representatives of three foundations over the course of the 90-minute event. These intimate conversations will take place with just 5-10 attendees at a time.
Event Background: AFP-MN is committed to addressing the systemic inequalities prevalent in the philanthropic sector and creating pathways to success for all organizations and fundraising professionals. AFP-MN recognizes that BIPOC leaders have regularly been excluded from conversations with community funders. We are constantly reminded that we cannot stay true to our own values without first accepting responsibility for our own role in perpetuating systemic racism. For example, we acknowledge the fact that on average, the revenues of Black-led organizations are 24% smaller than those of their white-led counterparts (Racial Equity and Philanthropy, 2020). As an intentional and explicit way of combating this inequity and promoting accessibility, this event is intended and available only for attendees who meet one of the following criteria:
- You identify as a BIPOC fundraiser.
- Your organization’s executive director/CEO is a BIPOC individual.
- Your organization’s board is made up of at least 50% BIPOC individuals.
Will be announced soonHow it Works
- When you register, you’ll be asked to indicate the five foundations you would most like to talk with during BIPOC Meet the Funders. You’ll also have the opportunity to share a summary of your mission and program areas that will be provided to participating funders before the event. The event planners will do their best to ensure all participants are able to meet with three foundation representatives from their top five. If there is more interest in meeting with a particular funder than we can accommodate, we’ll use our best judgment to equitably match fundraisers with funders that align with their interests.
- In advance of the session, you’ll be provided with the names of the foundation representatives you’ll meet with during the session so you can review their website and prepare your questions.
- During the event, you’ll participate in three 25-minute break-out sessions, one with each of the funders you’ve been matched with. Each break-out session will include the funder and five to ten fundraisers.
Pricing: Pay what you can, even $0. Suggested amount is $25.
- When you register, you’ll be asked to share a short summary of your funding interests that we’ll share with fundraisers when they register.
- In advance of the session, you’ll be provided with a list of the fundraisers you’ll meet with and a summary of their organizations’ missions and program areas so that you can learn more about them in preparation for the conversation.
- During the event, you’ll participate in three 25-minute break-out sessions. Each break-out session will include five to ten fundraisers.