Luther Seminary | St. Paul, MN
The purpose of this position is to support the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of Luther Seminary by building positive philanthropic relationships with donors, volunteers, staff, businesses and community members. The Director of Development will lead the sustaining fund, donor event management, grant writing, and alumni relations to realize philanthropic goals and objectives, ensuring the ongoing financial stability of Luther Seminary.
II. KEY RESULT AREAS
1. Plan, direct and implement strategies and objectives to achieve immediate and mid-range giving goals.
2. Manage digital engagement program with emphasis on email acquisition, donor acquisition, upgrade and renewal.
3. Manage and lead the direct marketing program, including overseeing design, writing, production and tracking of solicitations.
4. Lead, oversee and evaluate the online fundraising program including annual give day event.
5. Direct and manage grant funding opportunities, including researching prospective funders and projects, grant writing, evaluation and reporting.
6. Develop, create and implement long term strategy for alumni relations to engage students and new and current alumni, maximizing outreach efforts for the Seminary.
7. Supervise and mentor Sustaining Fund team, including recruitment, retention, performance management and coaching.
8. Test and evaluate the effectiveness of annual fund efforts, oversee income projections and prepare reports for the Vice President for Seminary Relations and other staff /board committees as appropriate.
9. Oversee communications for engagement, cultivation and giving, and in response to questions, comments and issues resulting from direct marketing efforts.
10. Serve as point person for development communications and marketing needs in print and online.
11. Oversee donor recognition for current giving, mailings, holiday cards, birthday cards, etc.
12. Supervise staff to execute current giving initiatives.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Vice President for Seminary Relations
A. Supervises: Assistant Director of Development and Donor Engagement Manager
B. Internal Relationships with: Advancement Services, Marketing and Communications, and Philanthropic Advisers. Also work with HR, Business Office, Office of Technology, Student Affairs
C. External relationships with: Consultants, mail house, printers and fundraising networking partners.
IV. JOB SPECIFICATION
A. Commitment to Luther Seminary’s Mission, Vision, Values and Welcome.
B. Desired education and experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree.
C. Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Five years of experience in annual giving and staff supervision.
2. Ability to analyze data and situations to develop, initiate and implement new programs, improve existing initiatives and eliminate under-performing strategies.
3. Detail oriented.
4. Organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6. Build and maintain collaborative and effective relationships with students, faculty, staff and public.
7. Apply budgetary and fiscal planning techniques within financial constraints.
8. Knowledge of ELCA helpful.
9. Familiarity with other mainline Christian organizations also helpful.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the primary job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this description at any time without notice.