Summit Academy OIC | Minneapolis, MN
Salary Range: $85,000 - $105,000
Under general supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the Major Gift Officer is responsible to meet the organization’s major gifts annual fundraising goals and objectives. The Major Gift Officer will identify, engage, solicit, cultivate and steward current and prospective donors in expanding their financial support for Summit. They will work with the Chief Development Officer and President & CEO to create individual engagement and solicitation strategies that increase the organization’s philanthropic and in-kind support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The Officer is expected to spend the majority of time outside of Summit’s office making personal fundraising calls and meetings.
The Major Gift Officer reports to the Chief Development Officer and works closely with the President & CEO, Board members, development department, volunteers, and Summit leadership staff.
This is an externally facing position and the Major Gift Officer will spend a large amount of their time interfacing with the donor community. A workspace will be provided at Summit and the position holder will be expected to develop and execute systems which allow them to integrate into the functions of the organization. Accountability and professionalism are expected.
- Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects through strategic donor-centered moves management practices and foster long-term donor relationships to increase overall engagement and yield significant support.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward major outright and planned gift prospects by matching and advancing the fundraising priorities with prospective donors’ interests.
- Manage a portfolio of 150 – 175 major gift prospects.
- Develop and document written cultivation and solicitation strategies and proposals, purposefully guide them to make major investments and develop relationships to maximize their giving potential over time.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Development Officer on cultivating and soliciting gifts of $50,000 or greater from individuals with the capacity and propensity of giving at that level.
- Lead and manage comprehensive fundraising strategies for sustaining and growing transformational gifts, legacy gifts, and developing and growing the leadership giving pipeline to meet overall organization goals.
- Ensure the development and execution of comprehensive relationship management strategies and the achievement of assigned growth, retention, participation, and revenue goals for the individuals within assigned portfolio.
- Serve as a public ambassador of the mission, impact, and vision of the organization, representing Summit as an important local, regional, and national asset.
- Maintain in a timely fashion through Salesforce, with the assistance of development staff, accurate records of anticipated actions, completed actions, results of constituent contacts, and
recommendations or plans for follow-up work.
- Shape and edit donor correspondences such as letters, emails, funding proposals, and reports.
- Develop, organize, and implement major donor cultivation events and activities.
- Develop and manage a major gifts annual budget and revenue projections.
- Become an expert on Summit’s vast programmatic needs for the purpose of effective donor stewardship, using available resources and opportunities.
What You Bring
- Highly entrepreneurial, resourceful, and flexible
- Minimum of five+ years of individual major gift fundraising
- Proven experience securing significant gifts
- Experience working with high-capacity individuals, with preferred experience advancing missions focused on workforce development and/or education and/or diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience supporting big ticket event fundraising
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage projects and volunteers
- Proficiency in using computers and database programs
- Prefer experience with Salesforce and fundraising software
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with appropriate discretion
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
Along with meeting the experience requirements and opportunity specifications, the ideal candidate must possess several critical success factors. They are as follows:
- Communication: Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships and tailor messages in a compelling way to a broad range of people with varying
- Cultural Competence: Seeks to understand, appreciate, and work effectively with people who have different cultural backgrounds or belief systems. Demonstrates personal and professional commitment to furthering equity, inclusion, access and belonging.
- Driven Leader: Committed to quality work; continuously looking for ways to improve own work and the work of the organization. Efficient time manager and ability to prioritize workloads.
- Mission Aligned: Passionate about assisting individuals in developing their ability to earn and to become contributing citizens in their community by equipping students with education, skills, and social networks to overcome barriers to economic opportunity.
- Personal Responsibility: Demonstrates leadership and accountability for own actions; including meeting multiple deadlines. Acts with integrity, maintains confidentiality.
The annual salary range for this role will be $85,000 to $105,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Summit offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including paid time off, health, dental, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance and 401(k) with employer match.
David Edgerton Jr. of The DEJ Group has been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
It is the policy of Summit Academy OIC to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status regarding public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In addition, Summit Academy OIC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
ABOUT THE DEJ GROUP
The DEJ Group is a national retained executive search and recruiting firm that works to connect exceptional diverse talent with exceptional inclusive companies. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about The DEJ Group, visit thedejgroup.com.