The Blake School | Hopkins, MN
Title: Director of Annual Giving Date Revised: May 2023
Department: Institutional Advancement FLSA Classification: Exempt
Supervisor Title: Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) Schedule: Full-time
Supervisee: Advancement Associate Benefit Class: E-2
Position Category: Essential Personnel Position Group: Administrator
Recognized as one of the nation’s premier independent schools, The Blake School provides an excellent education in a diverse and supportive environment for over 1,300 PK-12 students on two unique campuses in the Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Blake engages students with a dynamic, academically challenging education in a community committed to pluralism and a common set of values. Students pursue an integrated program of academic, artistic and athletic activities, preparing for college, lifelong learning and purposeful lives as community and global citizens.
Blake believes that a diverse society enriches all individuals and communities. Diversity of race, ethnicity, national origin, geography, religion, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, physical ability, and marital, parental or economic status forms the fabric of our society. As a result, Blake actively seeks employees who value and contribute to the fullness of a diverse community within the context of its mission.
The ideal candidate will be inspired by Blake’s mission and set of core values and be proud to join an institution which has, for 100+ years, produced thoughtful, well-prepared graduates who contribute leadership and service across professions and communities nationally and internationally.
The Director of Annual Giving is an integral member of Blake’s advancement team. They are responsible for increasing annual giving outcomes by inspiring donors to support Blake’s mission. The director uses data, industry best practices and knowledge of the Blake community to creatively educate and motivate alumni, parents and guardians, grandparents, staff and community donors towards annual giving. This position works collaboratively with other department directors, all members of IA and is manager to the advancement associate.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning & Solicitation
● Using donor-centered practices, lead annual giving strategy and workplan, including messaging, timing, segmentation, upgrades, acquisition, renewal and other key elements in collaboration with CAO and IA staff.
● Plan for and utilize a comprehensive variety of creative channels and technologies, including mail, video, email, phone and social media.
● Manage and lead steps associated with leadership giving ($2,500+), including collaboration with volunteers and colleagues, tracking and evaluation.
● Collaborate with key departments as needed to promote annual giving with new employees, faculty and staff and Upper School students.
● Collaborate with the director of alumni and parent engagement and others to execute the reunion giving program.
● Manage an individual portfolio of leadership-level donors and prospects and prioritize individual visits.
Volunteer & Staff Management
● Supervise advancement associate.
● With CAO, select annual giving priorities and help to support work of the Board of Trustees’ Advancement Committee.
● Train, manage and support annual giving volunteers in peer-to-peer solicitation.
Analysis, Reporting & Stewardship
● Monitor progress toward annual giving goals through key performance indicators (e.g. participation, retention, average gift) and establish benchmarks, evaluate progress, adjust strategy and consistently communicate with leadership and key groups.
● Work with advancement services manager, donor relations manager and special events manager to develop and incorporate meaningful stewardship tactics.
● Keep abreast of industry trends and best practices as well as participate in peer groups (online and in person) to identify opportunities, strategies, efficiencies and more to facilitate increased philanthropic support for Blake.
● Bachelor’s degree
● Minimum of three years fundraising experience
● Must be self-starter, highly organized and utilize a collaborative and collegial workstyle
● Ability to serve as a professional representative for Blake at the highest level
● Demonstrated experience initiating cold contacts with prospective donors and guiding contacts through cultivation, solicitation and documentation
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to generate creative communications and events that motivate people to action, using marketing, social media, giving challenges, incentives, etc.
● Strong attention to detail and accuracy
● Proven ability to manage concurrent projects, set priorities and meet deadlines
● Demonstrated ability to use, analyze and present data
● Value for inter-cultural competency and preference to work inclusively
● Strong computer skills, including MS Office tools, particularly Excel and Word
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and good judgment while taking initiative
● Ability to travel and participate in evening and weekend events
● Valid driver’s license and good driving record are required
● Demonstrated experience in annual giving in an educational setting
● Appreciation for mission of independent schools
● Experience with staff management
● Experience with Veracross or Raiser’s Edge database systems
Applicants should include a cover letter discussing interest, qualifications and a resume.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of skills and abilities required to do the job. The duties and responsibilities in this job description may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.