Northwoods Humane Society | Wyoming, MN
Salary Range: $65,000 - $75,000
Overall Summary and Description
Are you looking for a rewarding and meaningful career? A career that allows you to utilize your relationship building and organizational storytelling skills, while saving the lives of countless animals?
Northwoods Humane Society has a position for you. The Director of Development, a key member of our leadership team, is responsible for developing, implementing and overseeing a comprehensive fundraising strategy that advances our mission, helps increase philanthropic support from donors, and drives our growth plan with a focus on major gifts.
As a member of the leadership team, the Director of Development will lead the organization’s work in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major, capital, restricted and planned gifts, as well as provide direction and support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors regarding their duties in these areas.
For 47 years, Northwoods Humane Society has benefited tens of thousands of homeless kittens, cats, puppies, and dogs by providing them with housing, care, comfort and love while helping them to find their forever homes.
• Develop and implement a robust major gifts program to include individuals, foundations and corporations.
• Develop and actively manage a portfolio of donors, ensuring a best-in-class donor experience.
• Develop and implement appropriate and effective prospecting and stewardship strategies to produce successful outcomes, including in-person/virtual visits and strategic follow-up leading to successfully acquiring major gifts to achieve revenue goals.
• Oversee in-kind donation solicitation and ensure proper recording in the CRM system.
• Oversee grants program for continued growth, including grant calendar and stewardship.
• Assist with annual and one-time special events.
• Stay abreast of changes and trends in animal welfare fundraising and be innovative in approach to fundraising opportunities.
• Steward and further develop the planned giving program.
• Participate in Board-led strategic planning process.
• Work with Executive Director to create annual fundraising budget and set benchmarks.
• Attend monthly Board meetings to report on fundraising benchmarks.
• A love for animals and the organization’s mission.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience AND 3-5 years of experience with major gift fundraising.
• A proven track record of major gift solicitation from individuals, foundations and corporations.
• Demonstrated success in securing and stewarding grants.
• Understanding of major gifts process, and knowledge and resources available to ensure compliance with non-profit donation tax laws and reporting.
• Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Knowledge, experience and ability to assist in launching a capital campaign.
• Ability to train and direct staff and a variety of volunteers in donor solicitation.
• Planned Giving experienced preferred.
• Experience in animal welfare preferred.
• Availability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings, as required.
• Demonstrates honesty, integrity, and discretion. Skilled at handling sensitive and confidential situations.
• Strong interpersonal skills – outgoing, patient and professional
• Maturity and good judgment.
• Works as a team player, supporting the organization’s overall goals.
• Brings a strong drive to achieve results, while maintaining a calm approach to managing change and working through unexpected or challenging situations.
• A deep and abiding passion for Northwoods Humane Society’s position on key animal welfare issues.
Reports To: Executive Director and works closely with the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
Schedule And Location:
Full-time hours with occasional evenings and weekends as needed for donor visits and events.
Hybrid position, with on-site located at 7153 Lake Boulevard, Wyoming, MN.
Access to reliable internet, ability to prioritize work independently and foster relationships while working in a hybrid (remote and in-person) environment is required.
Must have easy access to Wyoming, MN area and be available for frequent face-to-face interactions in that area and beyond.
To be considered for this position, you must submit a cover letter in addition to a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.