Dakota State University | Madison, SD
Salary Range: $125,700 - $157,100
Dakota State University, a trailblazer in technological innovation and academic excellence, is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to serve as Vice President for Institutional Advancement for Dakota State University.
Reporting directly to the University President and holding a seat on the President’s Cabinet, the VP serves as the chief executive officer of the Dakota State University Foundation. Leading with strategic foresight, the Vice President will play a pivotal role in advancing the Foundation’s fundraising efforts, providing strategic leadership, and cultivating relationships with donors, alumni, and stakeholders.
- Lead and execute the current campaign, focusing on capital improvements, scholarship support, academic programs, and endowment growth.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with key donors, expanding and diversifying our donor base to ensure ongoing support for DSU’s initiatives.
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy within the university and its community through engaging events and initiatives.
- Provide transparent financial reporting to senior leadership and the Board of Trustees, ensuring accountability and alignment with organizational goals.
- Lead and manage the Foundation’s fundraising team, providing guidance, support, and mentorship to ensure success.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a preference for a master’s degree, in a related field such as nonprofit management, fundraising, business administration.
- At least 7 years of advancing experience in fundraising, with a proven track record in leadership positions involving major gift solicitation, campaign oversight, donor relationship management, and team leadership.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire and motivate staff, volunteers, and donors.
- Proven track record of securing major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Demonstrated financial acumen and budget management skills.
- Genuine passion for community engagement and advancing the mission of the Dakota State University Foundation.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to develop and implement innovative fundraising strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Knowledge of best practices in fundraising, donor stewardship, and nonprofit management.
- Experience working in higher education or a related field is highly desirable.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S., as sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Flexible benefits package – health, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, hospital indemnity insurance, flexible spending account, health savings account, health reimbursement account.
- South Dakota Retirement System. Employees receive 6% fully matched contributions from SDRS and are vested after three years of service.
- Paid time off – full time 12-month employees earn 15 days per year of annual leave and 14 days of sick leave per year. In addition, employees receive 11 federal paid holidays.
- Reduced tuition for education.
- Professional liability coverage
- Paid family leave
How to Apply:
DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu Please submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and a list of at least three references.
Applications will begin to be reviewed immediately and continue until the position is filled.
In addition to the exciting professional opportunities at Dakota State University, employees will have the privilege of enjoying the benefits of Madison, South Dakota. Nestled in the heart of the state, Madison offers a unique blend of small-town charm and modern amenities, creating an ideal environment for work-life balance.
The city boasts a range of recreational activities, from picturesque parks to outdoor events, fostering a sense of community engagement and well-being. Madison’s scenic landscapes and proximity to nearby lakes provide ample opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts, whether it be fishing, hiking, or simply enjoying the beauty of the great outdoors.
Madison’s location within South Dakota provides easy access to larger cities, cultural events, and regional attractions. Madison is only a short 50 minute drive from South Dakota’s largest city, Sioux Falls.
DSU is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.