Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare | Saint Paul, MNSalary Range: $200,000 - $260,000
Ballinger Leafblad is pleased to conduct a search for Executive Vice President (EVP) Philanthropy and Chief Development Officer (CDO) at Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare in Saint Paul, Minnesota.ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEWGILLETTE CHILDREN'S SPECIALTY HEALTHCARE
Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare has one of the nation’s largest concentrations of pediatric orthopedic surgeons and board-certified pediatric rehabilitation medicine specialists. Gillette treats the rarest and most complex musculoskeletal and neurological conditions. The care model is structured around every child’s needs, focusing on conditions such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and rare genetic disorders such as Rett syndrome.
Gillette treats patients who have conditions and disabilities affecting the muscles, bones, brain and nervous system. They treat patients who require lifelong care as well as short-term care for conditions such as fractures or concussions. Gillette doesn’t provide oncology care but they do offer rehabilitation therapy for children who need to regain their strength and function following cancer surgery or treatment.
The top conditions by volume seen at Gillette are:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Limb Length Discrepancy
- Development Dysplasia of Hip
- Idiopathic Scoliosis
A list of all conditions can be found at https://www.gillettechildrens.org/conditions-care/0/conditionsMISSION
We partner with individuals and families to provide specialized, coordinated health care for complex, rare and traumatic conditions starting in childhood.VISION
We redefine what is possible in all we do so every child can realize their full potential.ORGANIZATIONAL PRINCIPLES
- We partner with individuals and families to provide specialized, coordinated health care for complex, rare and traumatic conditions starting in childhood.
- We do this with compassion for and understanding of individuals and families.
- We do this with unparalleled clinical leadership.
- We do this through discovery, research, and education.
- We do this together.
In addition to the main Saint Paul Campus, Gillette has clinics for outpatient services around Minnesota. Locations are St. Paul Phalen Clinic, Alexandria, Baxter, Bemidji, Burnsville, Duluth, Mankato, Maple Grove, Marshall, St. Cloud, and Willmar.
Gillette is in the midst of current fundraising campaigns for an Adult Inpatient Unit and Multipurpose and Community Space expected to be completed in 2022.GILLETTE CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION
Gillette Children’s Foundation was created in 1984 to raise funds and awareness for Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, a self-supporting, nonprofit organization that accepts payments from insurance providers and receives no assistance from the state.
The Foundation’s work supports:
- Pioneering Treatments for better outcomes
- Cutting Edge Research to improve quality of life
- Family Assistance to cover equipment costs
- Purchases of lifesaving medical technology
- Improvements to the facilities used by patients
Gillette Children’s Foundation exclusively supports the mission and vision of Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare.
The Foundation's 13 staff members work to raise philanthropic support for three areas of focus:
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
- 57% Patient Care
- 23% Research education and other
- 20% Capital Improvements
Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare is committed to creating an equitable, anti-racist, and inclusive environment where all patients, families, and staff are welcomed and valued. We believe diverse perspectives and identities foster excellence, improve patient care, and are essential for Gillette to fulfill its mission.
Gillette’s DEI Statement https://www.gillettechildrens.org/about-gillette/deiPOSITION PROFILEEXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT (EVP) PHILANTHROPY and CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER (CDO)
- The Executive Vice President of Philanthropy and Chief Development Officer is a dynamic role providing leadership and oversight for all of Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare philanthropy, fundraising, and related advocacy activities.
- The EVP/CDO will have overall responsibility for the development and implementation of strategies to diversify and increase philanthropic revenue sources to fund needs of Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare as well as build the net asset base of the Foundation. The position is also responsible for maintaining a portfolio focused on corporate relations and for developing strategies to enhance both corporate and corporate foundation support.
- The successful candidate for this role will be a strategic leader; someone who will take decisive action based on finite information, and actively participate in the success of Gillette strategic initiatives. As an active member of the Leadership Team, the EVP/CDO will work collaboratively with their colleagues in creating and supporting a long-term strategy for the Foundation, developing key policies, and developing the annual Foundation Operating Plan.
- Additionally, this executive will lead by example with a quality orientation-- to promote an environment focused on enhancing the quality of Foundation interactions and services, donor engagement and satisfaction, and appropriate growth of revenue through a variety of tactics.
- This EVP/CDO is directly responsible for the Foundation and associated positions within the Foundation, being a consultative, proactive business partner with the Leadership Team and the Board of Directors. Through sound planning and management, the EVP/CDO will ensure that Gillette Children’s Foundation manages its resources, fulfills its mission, maintains its core values, and assures a vibrant future for the organization.
- The EVP/CDO will enthusiastically engage external constituencies as spokesperson and fundraiser, and build positive relationships with partner organizations, funders, the media and others. The ability to lead a team strategically and with vision is vital.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Lead the development of the Foundation’s long-range, strategic, and operational plans; manage the execution of the plans to ensure that objectives are being achieved.
- Structure and lead the planning, implementing, and coordinating of fundraising activities to meet fundraising and donor development objectives.
- Oversee and participate in research to identify resources available through community foundations, trusts, and grants, and develop fundraising/solicitation approaches and campaigns.
- Encourage, partner, and engage with internal stakeholders and community supporters to raise funds for Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare programs and services.
- Design and implement local, regional, national, and international foundation platforms that are diverse and inclusive.
- Develop and implement a corporate foundation strategy to increase support to Gillette.
- Develop, evaluate, and revise annual goals for the Foundation in collaboration with the CFO and the President and CEO.
- Develop and monitor annual budgets that ensure the Foundation has the necessary resources to carry out its goals and objectives.
- Work collaboratively and productively with Foundation staff, Executive team, management, volunteers, providers, and the Board; also interact professionally and positively with Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare staff.
- Maintain positive working relationships with external organizations to increase community awareness of the related needs of Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare.
- Stay current with the latest developments, advancements, and trends in philanthropy and advancement.
- Provide executive leadership, participation, and oversight for advocacy and community relations efforts on behalf of Gillette Children’s Foundation.
- Develop and maintain an equity lens in key relationships, including with Board, staff, and all fundraising stakeholders.
- As Leader of the Foundation, bring a positive approach and a style of collaboration, creativity, encouragement, partnership, optimism, and determination.
- Lead an organizational culture that values and rewards passion, honesty, achievement, teamwork, creativity, and innovation.
- Set a tone of optimism, innovation, and collaboration within the Foundation; maintain and enhance the positive partnerships between the Foundation and other parts of the organization.
- Hire, coach, motivate, and evaluate Gillette Children’s Foundation staff with a focus on staff retention and maximizing individual and group capabilities.
- Assure ongoing professional development and coaching for staff at all levels.
- Identify and analyze the structure of the organization, design of jobs, and work processes for Foundation and implement appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, and efficiency.
- The EVP/CDO reports to the President and CEO of Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, which is governed by one fiduciary Board serving the Hospital (clinical enterprise) as well as the Foundation. The EVP/CDO will work collaboratively with the Executive team, Board of Directors and Board Community Committee members.
- A member of the organization's executive leadership team, the EVP/CDO provides leadership, vision, and operational direction for Gillette Children’s Foundation and serves as the leader of a comprehensive philanthropic resource development program.
- The EVP/CDO oversees a staff of 13 full-time professionals. Direct reports are Development Officer-Major Gifts, Supervisor-Foundation Operations, and Lead Annual Giving Officer.
- This critical leadership role is responsible for collaborating with several departments, functions and the associated positions to achieve the Foundations goals, including Finance, Financial Planning and Analysis, Planning and Business Development, Marketing and Communications, Administration and others.
- Educational or knowledge base and interest related to healthcare, clinical, and research industries.
- Significant background of demonstrated fundraising and major donor development and solicitation.
- Staff leadership experience including oversight of management level direct reports.
- Demonstrated success in engaging a high-level community board of directors.
- Proven success in multi-million-dollar philanthropic & capital campaign leadership.
- Demonstrated success leading a development function in a large, complex environment.
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of current health care systems and ability to align with organizational goals and outcomes.
- Functional credential is preferred, such as Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) or equivalent philanthropic certification.
Leadership Characteristics and Abilities
- Commitment, excitement and passion toward the organization’s mission.
- Effective communication skills with a variety of diverse stakeholders, including internal colleagues, external partners, donors and funders, and local leaders, overall maintaining a collaborative and approachable style.
- Ability to lead and enhance a cohesive, accountable culture; ability to grow and modify the culture as the organization evolves.
- Strategic orientation; innovative approach.
- Politically astute; able to navigate and function effectively in an increasingly ‘political’ environment.
- Collaborative approach with multiple levels of management and within a complex system.
- Ability to positively and accurately represent the organization and its values to the community.
- Has an empowering, coaching leadership style and an encouraging and thoughtful style of planning and change management.
- Commitment and passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Comfort working with ambiguity making sound decisions without possessing 100 percent of the necessary information.
- Complement the leadership team by bringing different perspective.
- Authentic, engaging, and transparent. Display a flexible and adaptable style.
- Ability to work as a team player at varying levels of seniority yet also comfortable working independently.
- Consistently maintain confidentiality at the highest level and exhibit the highest standards of integrity and principled leadership.
View complete profile:https://static1.squarespace.com/static/53a1f4c3e4b0b8ba0664335d/t/61328f2ad587311388fc46ec/1630703402814/EXECUTIVE+POSITION+PROFILE-GILLETTE+CHILDREN%27S+FOUNDATION+EVP+CDO+-+FINAL.pdf
For additional information or to apply, contact:
Lars Leafblad, MBA
Marcia Ballinger, PhD