ORAM | Remote
Salary Range: $95,000
Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Communications and Development Coordinator as well as consultants and volunteers
Location: United States, remote role with occasional in-office meetings. Some domestic and international travel involved.
Tentative Start date: September/October 2022
Candidates will be reviewed & interviewed on a rolling basis.
**Submit applications here: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oHgFjfwF&s=AFP_MNWho We Are
Founded in 2008, ORAM; Organization for Refuge, Asylum and Migration is a pioneer in advocating for the protection and empowerment of extremely vulnerable LGBTIQ refugees and asylum seekers globally. ORAM is recognized as one of first international NGOs to assist people fleeing persecution based on their sexual orientation and / or gender identity and expression and is a thought leader in LGBTIQ migration. We support LGBTIQ asylum seekers and refugees who are navigating the long asylum process from the moment they arrive in their first country of asylum to being resettled to a safe third country. Who You Are
With the help of the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, you will drive the organizations revenue growth, engaging and motivating ORAMs donors at all levels. You are an exceptional storyteller with a strong passion for ORAM's work. You are well-connected, highly energetic, emotionally insightful, and an intellectually courageous person. This isn't your first time and you know how to skillfully grow existing relationships as well as strategically develop new prospects. Relationships are only one piece of the puzzle. You will also build the infrastructure and maintain the systems and activities related to private fundraising and relationship management.
We strive to represent the diverse communities we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity and those who bring lived experience with displacement are strongly encouraged to apply.The Role
The Development Director is a new position reporting to the Executive Director that will build and implement ORAM's fundraising strategy, including foundation, government, individual and corporate funding streams. We are seeking an ambitious and creative person to join our small but growing senior leadership team and help shape the future of ORAM.
We've recently reached a new milestone of $1M operating budget. The continued growth and development of ORAM's ability to provide critical services and advocacy to some of the worlds most marginalized communities depends on your ability to raise and grow revenue in support of the organization's mission. You will be supported by an amazing ORAM team as well as the Alight Donor Services team for back-office support.Fundraising
You will set and be expected to meet ambitious fundraising targets. As a steward for ORAM's relationships and strategic partnerships, you will be responsible to identify and cultivate new donors, as well as engage and grow existing donors. This includes communications, events, and relationship strategies for government, foundation, individual, and corporate groups.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key individuals and organizations in ORAM's donor network.
- Conduct prospect research and create donor profiles on individual donors, corporate, and foundation funding sources.
- Solicit, secure, and steward major gifts from private sources.
- Research and prepare government and foundation grant requests.
- Build on recent successes to create and operationalize a successful corporate engagement program, leveraging the growing interest in the intersection of LGBTIQ and refugee issues in the corporate sector.
- Develop and manage (or support the management of) strategic partnerships.
- Serve as an ambassador for ORAM's work by representing ORAM at conferences and networking events; continuously growing the donor and partnership base as well as recognition in the broader community.
- Produce the organization's fundraising events.
- Organize and conduct corporate, foundation and individual donor trips to the field.
Development Systems, Operations & Results
- As ORAM's first Development Director, you will lead the vision and execution to establish and lead the growth & development goals of the organization.
- Draft and implement a strategic development plan, including strategies for each of ORAM's fundraising streams.
- Design and manage the fundraising budget.
- Establish a data-driven plan for success and lead multi-year advancement/growth planning including tracking and reporting on initiative progress and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Ability to manage; to ensure the success of the Executive Director, Board of Directors and organization in supporting fundraising efforts
- Supervise development interns and potentially staff members as the team grows in future.
DESIRED SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONSRequired experience & knowledge
- Create an annual calendar of grant funding deadlines, solicitation schedules and year end reports.
- Establish and report on fundraising targets and pipelines.
- Oversee fundraising and development campaigns in conjunction with communications team.
- Oversee and leverage the organization's donor management system.
- Track, manage and project revenue.
- Coordinate with field staff on appropriate projects for proposal submission and cultivating corporate representatives in their regions.
Qualities you possess
- 5-7 years of development experience, with proven track record of fundraising success in a nonprofit or similar setting.
- Experience nurturing current donor relationships, networking, identifying new donors and managing diverse relationships.
- Proven success in prospect research and grant writing.
- Ability to meet with donors and make requests on behalf of ORAM.
- Experience working with funders of LGBTIQ issues.
- A network of strong and effective relationships in the corporate sector and experience cultivating and securing corporate sponsors.
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills, including a strong ability to write concise and compelling narratives and tell stories
- Excellent organizational skills: the ability to work productively in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of how a sophisticated a donor management system works including experience with development back-office functions.
- Ability to work independently as well as to partner, collaborate and be a team player with multiple stakeholders in different locations and time zones.
- Knowledge of and experience working on LGBTIQ issues.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally and domestically.
- Knowledge of issues facing asylum seekers and refugees, and experience with international relief organizations desired.
- Familiarity with Raiser's Edge a plus.
- People management experience is a plus.
Benefits & Compensation
- Unafraid to make big asks
- Optimistic, positive and forward thinking
- A passion for social justice and a commitment to human rights for all people
- Genuine relationship-builder who is able to convey authenticity, passion and commitment with a wide array of audiences
- Exceptional listener with a natural curiosity about donors; motivations and interest
- Exceptional follow-up and follow-through skills
- Creativity and an openness to new ideas and ways of doing things
- Strongly collaborative nature and skillful at working with partners and collaborators
- Energetic and purpose driven
- Effective in a fully remote team environment
- Salary range: $95,000 USD annualized, commensurate with experience
- Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
- Family Friendly; We know that you are a whole person with a life and a family. We honor this. In return, we expect that you will take ownership of your work and follow-through on your commitments; sometimes that means flexing your schedule and we're good with that.
- Learning; Development; Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
- Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance & We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
- Retirement; We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
- Generous Leave Time; Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
We strive to represent the diverse communities we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity and those who bring lived experience with displacement are strongly encouraged to apply.
ORAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment and internships without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. ORAM complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.