Jungle Theater | Minneapolis, MN
Salary Range: $70,000 - $75,000
The Jungle Theater’s mission is to create courageous, resonant theater that challenges, entertains, and sparks expansive conversation. The Jungle’s vision is to be a neighborhood theater with national impact, indispensable to our community and aspirational to the field. Founded in 1991 in a South Minneapolis storefront space, the Jungle quickly established a loyal following and has received critical acclaim ever since. Long before the trend began, the Jungle demonstrated how the arts can be a catalyst for neighborhood revitalization. In 1999 the theater moved into its permanent home, an intimate 148-seat space across the intersection from its original location. Along with its reputation for artistic excellence, the Jungle is prized by artists for supporting their development and providing access to career-defining opportunities.
The Jungle Theater's primary program is the main stage season, an annual subscription season of productions of new and contemporary works presented on the Jungle Theater's stage. Each season engages top Twin Cities area artists and select national artists. The theater maintains an inclusive approach to programming and casting to provide playwrights, directors, designers, and performers of all backgrounds with access to artistic opportunities. In 2021, we launched a new, inclusive artistic cohort who have a seat at the table under the leadership of our artistic director, Christina Baldwin, in making all artistic decisions, including season programming.
The current 2022-2023 season features three shows produced by Jungle Theater, including two world premieres and one co-production, and two presented shows, all for in-person audiences. Full details available at https://www.jungletheater.org/2022-23-season.
The Jungle Theater’s FY22 budget includes revenues of $1.26 million, consisting of 35% earned income, primarily from ticket sales, and 65% contributed income, from individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. We are rebuilding ticket revenue in the wake of the pandemic, while engaging in an exciting period of growth that may include a capital campaign in the near future.Core Responsibilities
The Director of Development will:
- Work closely with the artistic and managing directors to create, implement, and manage a development plan that will support the current and future operating and capital needs of the theater.
- Lead the Jungle’s fundraising strategy for individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. Key focus areas include cultivation of major donors as well as foundation grants and corporate sponsorships.
- Build and mentor an effective development team, providing leadership to a part-time Advancement & Artistic Associate and full-time Marketing Manager.
- Work with a contracted grant writer to shepherd the prospecting and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals as well as the grants’ administration and reporting.
- Motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development; expand, manage and coordinate their involvement in fundraising activities; take an active role supporting the Board, Development Committee, and other Board committees.
- Oversee organizational marketing and communications strategy, partnering with staff to effectively articulate the Jungle’s mission, vision, and work across online channels and print media.
- Lead donor engagement and new donor acquisition strategies, including planning and executing a broad range of fundraising events in partnership with staff and board.
- Build and maintain relationships with key funders, donors, and community partners, and actively represent the Jungle within the Twin Cities arts community and local neighborhood events.
- Effectively manage department budget and maintain accurate financial records of all pledges and contributions, working closely with the Finance Manager.
This position reports to the Managing Director while working in close partnership with the Artistic Director. The Development Director supervises a part-time Advancement Associate as well as a full-time Marketing Manager.The Ideal Candidate
At the Jungle, we appreciate that talent comes in many forms and unconventional career paths build surprising strengths. That said, we anticipate that the ideal candidate will have 5+ years of development experience (ideally in the arts), comfort working with major donors, and a solid knowledge of the fundraising field. Campaign experience is not required but would be a plus. The Jungle has been transforming and evolving throughout the years, amidst significant change to our industry and our world. The ideal candidate brings a joy and hunger to work with us to forge new pathways along with an understanding and appreciation of existing best practices.Working Environment
The Jungle Theater offers a flexible work environment, with a mix of hybrid and in-person work. The proximity of our office space to rehearsal and performance space creates a fun, lively atmosphere, with administrative staff closely integrated with the artistic and technical staff. Compensation
$70,000 to $75,000, commensurate with experience. Other benefits include health insurance with Jungle covering 66% of premiums, paid vacation days; complimentary tickets, and free parking.Application Process
Please submit a résumé and a cover letter outlining how your experience and interests align with this position to email@example.com
. Priority will be given to submissions received before January 20. Interviews will take place in February, with a desired start date in March.
The Jungle Theater is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We seek applicants of all backgrounds.